Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Controversy of Low Power FM Radio

 For this blog I decided to concentrate on the controversy of low-power FM radio versus commercially owned radio. More specifically I decided to look at  the recent passing of the Local Community Radio Act that president Obama signed. This bill states that they will issue more low-power radio licenses. Moreover it will lift restrictions that Congress put on LPFM stations back in 2000's. One of the major changes is that LPFM radio is now approved to work in cities.  

I present the sides of why this bill is a controversy to the people in support of local radio, the commercial stations, politics and society. Although this act has gone unnoticed for many it will impact many. 

Society- 
-Society is able to learn more about local people and events in their own community
-Aware of more relevant information
-Hear information they want to hear


Commercial Broadcasters-
Argued that LPFM stations that are too close to their stations cause interference so their programs would be distrupted. (http://www.mediaaccess.org/2010/12/local-community-radio-act-enables-low-power-fm-stations/)

-National Association of Broadcasters
-Fear more competition
- Making them look bad because they can't target information to their consumers
- Going after Radio



LPFM-
Larger Support Organizations- Prometheus Radio Project, Media and Democracy Coalition, Media Access Project, national Hispanic Media, etc


-Proving small organizations can prove a point and win battles even in Congress


-“If commercial radio takes the mass expansion of LPFM seriously, we could see a positive influence on mainstream media, especially in small and mid-sized towns where small interventions have large consequences,” Chynoweth said.
-hope to gain strength in communication 
-inspire others to utilize what is local to them


Politics-

-With an election coming up it is vital for politicians to gain presence on the spectrum




Articles-

Evaluation and Findings of Articles-
Most the information I came accross was from Media Access Project.org. 
Searched: Ixquick (  a metasearch engine)

Article- Local Community Radio Act Enables Low-Power FM Stations 
Dan KN6NU, Ham's Radio Blog
December 20, 2010

President Obama Signs Local Community Radio Act
DJ Pangbum
January 2011

Terms- commercial versus low power FM radio

Overall Site- Media Access Project

Funded-Non-profit

Current Info- The site contains articles from years past but the articles I found were very recent ranging from 2000-2011. Most though were 2008-2011. 

Evaluation- Overall I found this site very credible and reliable. It is a non profit advocacy organization. I liked that there were multiple articles on one topic because they are all devoted to researching more and telling people about current events in the radio world. The only problem I could see is that because this site is more in support of local radio that there articles could contain a slight bias. Most the articles did end on the note that the bill passed was good and will open many doors for small radio stations. 


Searched: Google

URL:http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/6872/keeping_up_with_community_radio/

Article- Keeping up With Communit Radio
Megan Tady
January 20, 2011

Terms: Viewpoint local community radio act

Overall Site- In These Times

Funded-Non-profit

Current Info- The article was written in 2011 so it is very current information

Evaluation- In These Times provides  wide range of articles on many current topics. It was a highly useful website. I felt that because this was not an advocacy site the information was less biased and provided both sides of the controversy in a succint but excellent manner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment